My Blog List

Monday, October 3, 2011

Run, Rabbit....Run!


I know I am lazy.
I know that I am out of shape.
I know that I hate to work out.
I know that I hate to push myself beyond my limits.

I know that I am not good at trying new things with people that I do not know.


What I don’t know is why I signed up to participate in the Hybrid Adventure Games and why I actually DID the race.


Would this be a good time to admit that I spent the whole week wishing for a twisted ankle or explosive diarrhea?   Pretty much anything that would make it so that I would not have to actually go and do the race.

Ugh. No.Such.Luck.

Saturday morning found me injury free and up at 5am playing loud old school Jay Z in the hopes that I would get pumped up enough to want to kick this races ass.  And to be able to proudly sport my 80’s workout gear (hey, if I am going to do something that scares the hell out of me, it is going to be in a costume!) 

I was ready!  I can do this! 

And then we got to Ski Bowl and I saw the start of the race…the start of the race that went straight up the mountain. CRAP.  CRRRAAAAAPPPPPP!  2.5 miles.  ALL UP HILL.

ALL
UP
HILL
UGH.

I started out at a slow run, but along with a large majority of the people around me, ended up walking most of it.  With being lazy and the elevation…I thought for sure that I was going to die.  Or at least I wanted to, but I did not.  I stuck with it and made it all the way to the top.  I would have enjoyed the beautiful view at the top, but the feeling of wanting to vomit was a bit too strong.  And I had to turn my ass back around and go down the hill. 

Yes, I did slip while trying to make it down.  And no, you are not shocked, I can tell. 

With the small slip, I tweeked my knee, so my plan of running back down the hill was not a great one.  My knee hurt like hell, so I would run a bit and walk some.  For a while I was all alone on the trail and thought for sure that I was the last one to complete the race…BUT I WAS NOT!  THERE WERE SLOWER PEOPLE THEN ME!!! 

After that came running through tires, hurdles, hurdles with barbwire, having to slide down a hill in a jacked up slip and slide thing (yay for being near death and wet!), obstacle course, tractor tire toss, keg toss and archery. 

I did not finish everything, but that was not 100% my fault.  THE LINES FOR EACH EVENT WERE CRAZY!  I stood in line for an hour for the tractor tire toss (all the while having to chat with people that I don’t know-AHHH!) and then is started to rain and get COLD!  So after a really crappy tractor toss (or move rather as we all know I am not tossing a tire) I found Elle and her car key and ran to the car to put on dry clothes. 

And there was no way I was getting back into another hour long line after that!!


Today is Monday and I am still sore, but I am so happy that I did it.  I will mark that off of my ‘to do’ list and see what new adventures that I can add.      

No comments:

Post a Comment