My Blog List

Monday, October 18, 2010

Paste Eater or Super Hero?

It's that time of year again.  Time for me to take time off of work.  Head out to the suburbs.  Hang out in a hallway sitting on a chair that was made for about half of my actual butt size.  And hope and pray that I get told that my child is right where he needs to be on the learning curve and that he has not caused any undue stress to the teacher (as she looks about 105 and tying her shoe might cause her to stroke out).

Yes--Parent Teacher Conference Night is tonight.  Gee.  Yeah.

Here is the funny part of all of this--yes--it gets better!

I was looking at the PTA notes from a meeting last month and they noted that conferences would be a bit different this year.  Yes, all of what I listed above will be happening, but this year the teachers are to bring up a college plan as well as a possible career choice.  And this is a quote "Even in kids as young as Kindergarten."  WHAT?  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  Hmmm....lets see, what was I good at in Kindergarten?  Probably not much of anything and nothing that I would have gone to college for.  Ok, maybe if I could major in coloring or paste eating, but really, I can't see that as a life long career.

I am happy that they want kids to start thinking about college.  I am.  Honestly.  But to talk about it now, at 6 and 7 just seems a bit silly.  I am 34 and I still have no idea what I am good at or what I want to be if I ever grow up.  I sure as hell don't see my kids knowing the answer to those questions either.

Ok..I take that back.  If by some chance Cooper's teacher looks at me and says, "We have a way of testing for potential super hero powers and Cooper was off the chart..."  I would full support this path in life...and make sure he had a cape! 
                             ***Cape to be added later, once his teacher and I have a little chat***

No comments:

Post a Comment