My Blog List

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Do you have a flag?

My first Sunday as the Assistant Coach to the Black Knights did not really go as I would have liked it to.

In my head, I was ready to not really know what was going on, but I had read my flag football handbook and I was ready to try my best.

Then I got coach blocked (the flag football version of the cock block).

I got to the field early, as is my way, and I checked in.  I was told by the guy that runs the league that the other assistant coach was already on the field with some of the players and told me where to go.
Other assistant coach?  That was news to me as when I spoke with the head coach on Thursday, it was just the two of us.
Oh well...the more the merrier!

Got to the field...it was a dad that I had some previous contact with as he had coached my son's soccer last year and his son was in Coop's class.  I walked up (dressed in my red coach t-shirt, so he has to acknowledge me) introduce myself and let him know that I am here to help.  YAY...so far so good.

We gather the kids, the head coach is not there yet, but we are going to work on receiving and running with the ball.  Even I can had a kid a ball...
Then I coach blocked.
The other assistant coach turned to a dad that was standing on the side "Hey, that's your son, right?  Yes?  Ok, what's your name?  Ok, you take one group of kids and I will take the other and we will work on them grabbing the ball"
Um...hey...heeeelllllooooooooo.........I am the other assistant coach. Ok...never mind...i'll just stand here I guess.

The head coach got there and I helped him with the other set of kids and work on some drills.  All went well.  He may not know what the hell to do with me, but at least he spoke to me and let me help.

The game went well.  The other assistant coach and the head coach worked with the kids on the field and  I made sure the boys on the bench stayed somewhat focused on the game. It would have been nice to be out on the field and pick some plays....but I do understand that I am not as 'skilled' in the flag football world. 

The other moms did not talk to me, but I am used to that.  They all sit and talk to Christina (step mom).  Well, one mom came up and spoke to me after the game, but her kid does not go to the same school, so she is not aware that she is not supposed to talk to me.  It goes against that 'we can't be nice to both the mom and step mom' thing that the moms at school seem to have down to a science.  I give her two more games and she will be hip to the sideline game plan :heavysigh:

After the game, the other assistant coach wanted to talk to the head coach, I was standing there, so I thought that I should be in on the chat as well.  Ya know....talk about the plays and what not.  The head coach did his best to get me involved while the other coach would not even look at me. Hmmm....if I would have known that would have been the case, I would have slept in and skipped the shower this morning!  The other assistant coach went on to say to the head coach that they should meet for for beers to go over the plays.  No.  I was not included on that invite.

I really just wanted to help out in something that my kids were involved in.  Due to my work schedule I can' t be in the class as often as their step mom is and Forrest and Christina have held a monopoly on coaching soccer and basketball for the last few years.  So...this was my first shot and I was really looking forward to it.  I knew that the mom crowd would be that way, but since I wasn't going to be on the sidelines with them, I was not all that worried about it, but to have one of the other coaches snub me, well....I was not really ready for that.

As I walked to the car, shoulders slumped, head low...I just felt defeated.  I felt embarrassed for even offering to volunteer and be involved.  I wanted to cry, but refuse to give into my emotions in front of my boys.

Guess I can just be the full time snack mom for the team.  But I am keeping the coach's t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment