My Blog List

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The casket

I did not feel like taking the freeway to my doctors apt today, so I went the back way, up and over the hill and passed the cemetery.  I have driven this way thousands of times.  And  it is always pretty much the same. 
But today I got stuck in some traffic, so I slowed down to stop and found myself looking out my window and over at the cemetery.  I have seen funerals in progress or the flowers that are left behind, and none of this has ever bothered me.  But today as I looked out the window, I saw something new.  Or new to me as I had never seen it. 
Up on a little hill, with nothing else around it was a casket.  No people.  No flowers.  No undertakers.
Casket.  Raised up and just waiting to placed in the ground.

Maybe it was the cold, wet and cloudy day, but at that moment, looking out at the raised casket, everything just looked gray.   Almost as seeing what I was looking at as if I were in an old black and white movie.

Or maybe the color was not gray, but the emotion that seeing that sight brought up in me.

It was sad.  Where were the people? Flowers?  The color?
In this, the last moment before being placed into darkness, shouldn't there be some color?

3 comments:

  1. See? Every time I start to think you're just a little narcissist (just sayin'), you post something like this and remind me that you've got this incredibly endearing part of you that just forces me to keep coming back for more. Makes me want to buy a girl flowers just because she's got a beautiful heart:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Narcissist? Hmmm.....not sure how I feel about that statement. Add that to the mocking from the other post and a girl might start to get a complex!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey now. I may be a little bit of a smartass...but at least I temper "keepin' it real" (says the whiter-than-white boy) with lots of positive things too. And in fairness, you DID recently have an "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!" post ;)

    ReplyDelete